Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A lot of information!

Hi yo! (Liberian English)
Sorry it has been so long since the last update! We have been pretty busy around here. So I will briefly tell you about our trip to Konia and update you on what has happened since we returned to Monrovia. We took a long 7 hour drive to the interior on terrible roads to Konia. I mean terrible! But we only had one girl throw up so that was pretty good! While we were there we took a 30 minute hike one morning to a man made twine bridge and we were able to see rice fields, palm oil plants, a "water tree" ;or a tree that water pours out of a branch you cut off; and eat sugar cane. The next morning we woke up early and started waling to a peanut farm at about 7am. Little did we know that it was about 4 miles away...one way, on the road with no shade. But, nevertheless, is was worth it! We got to harvest some peanuts and were able to see how hard these people have to work in order just to get their food. By the time we finished our 8 mile (2 hour) journey we were exhausted! But when we returned the LACES children from the village were waiting for us so we had to get to work. This is where my part came in. I took 116 head shots of kids and coaches and we recorded down all their information so we could enter it into a system when we got back to the office. We also helped some children write letters in response to some supporters from the States that had written them. Then we were able to take a quick nap before heading to the field to play relay races and watch some futbol! the people in Konia were so amazing and humble! They all had such loving hearts and really wanted to reach out to the children in their community! It was really awesome to see what LACES is doing for the communities in Liberia! The next day we returned home to Monrovia after a flat tire, a stop for food and a live chicken escaping its sack from under my feet! Yes. LIVE chicken...i screamed bc it came out of nowhere and I hadn't even known it was there the whole time! When we returned we rested until we went to sleep and then over the last few days we went to the opening of a new LACES community in Harbel and I also took more headshots of the kids and staff at the Duport Road community. It has been an awesome experience to be able to use my passion and talent of photography in order to help with this organization that is serving the Lord's purpose here in Liberia! The place we have been staying is the compound where the Samaritans Purse Liberia Office is located and where their staff lives. It has been soooo awesome getting to know some of the people here! I am so excited to see the relationships I have built in such a short time here. I am also praying that the Lord will continue to grow them even after I leave here. That is my hope, so that I can stay in touch and maybe have more opportunities to come back here maybe for an internship or work with some of these people again in the future! The Lord has been at work here in Liberia and it has been so great! I am excited about the second part of our trip as well! We pick up our team from the airport tonight and head to Bong County in the interior on Friday morning. I am so excited to see how the Lord will move through us and in us there! I want to say thank you to all of you for your support and prayers as I have been here! I know in my heart people have been lifting us up in prayer so thank you all! I won't have internet obviously in the bush but I will be in touch as soon as possible! We leave here the 9th and arive back in Atlanta on the evening of the 10th! I cannot wait to see you all! I hope your summer is going well and that the Lord is revealing Himself to you in amazing ways! Seek His great Love so that you may Love others unconditionally!! I Love you all so much!
See you!!

Recklessly Trusting,
Kathryn :)

3 comments:

  1. Kathryn, I am so excited about the woman you have become and your desire for the Lord to use your life for his glory! I will be praying for you as you allow him to mold you into the woman he wants you to become and as you serve him and become his hands and his feet. I have always loved getting to know you and truly believe you are something special! Go set the world on fire, for Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much love in that post! Enjoy your time there.

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to hear from you!! I've been praying for you every day! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete